Tips for authors
The Web offers readers new places to talk about books, change opinions and give concrete buying suggestions. This exchange of information and recommendations takes place on blogs, on Facebook, Twitter, or in themed forums. That means that you, as an author, have lots of possibilities to contribute online and refer to your book.
Here, we have put together some suggestions on how you can attract attention to your book und its content. Your Social Web activities cannot replace other marketing actions, but they are an important addition to classic marketing strategies.
1. Author’s Page on Amazon
Amazon’s online shop is most readers’ first address to get information about literature in a certain field. Through a profile, every author is able to present his or her books as well as him- or herself.
Readers not only value a book’s reviews but also further information, which is why a well-maintained Amazon author’s page has a positive effect on sale decisions, whether or not the purchases are made from Amazon itself. But the setup of this page is reserved only for the authors themselves. We cannot take this task over from you, but we will gladly support you in editing the author’s page.
- Visit https://authorcentral.amazon.com/
- Choose “Join now”. If you are already registered as an Amazon customer, login here with your e-mail address and your password. Otherwise create an account now. Even when you register your account on Amazon, your customer information (like product reviews or selling transactions) stays secret from the public and will not be shown in your author’s profile.
Choose “This is me” next to your book. If your book is not in the list, you can search for it by title or ISBN. In the following you can add further books, as well as a photo and a short biography to your profile, if you want to.
Hanser will be informed, as soon as you have connected yourself to a certain book and we have confirmed you as the author. When you have been affirmed as an author, you have the possibility to add additional graphics or pictures of the book, next to the existing cover.
Videos are possible as well.
The author’s page has a positive effect on your title’s ranking on Google – if your page is detailed enough and furnished with suitable keywords. The author’s page comes at no charge. The author’s name is linked and bundles all of his or her titles. So the reader gets a quick overview of the author (biography), his or her books, photos, videos, and reviews.
2. Personal blog
A blog gives the author the opportunity to get in contact with his or her readers. To set up a personal blog you do not necessary need a wide technical knowledge. You are completely free to design the blog the way you want. Information about the book, its topic, the author, or current trends can be published. Interested readers can discover more about you and get a deeper insight into your projects. Try it out yourself on Tumblr (https://www.tumblr.com/) or in the Google blog area.
2.1 Blog Software
You can download various free blog software applications from the internet. The two most well-known are given here:
2.2 Blog content
A blog offers you as an author the possibility to give a detailed insight into the book (short sample extracts, table of contents, further information about the topic). On a regular basis, you can pick topics from the book and encourage your readers to discuss them. The more readers know about a book, the easier they will come to a buying decision. Ideally, you could provide content in different formats, and for example, upload videos onto your blog.
Useful contents for readers:
- Valuable information on the topic
- Tables of content
- Reading extracts
- Free downloads (top lists, short tips and tricks, checklists, FAQ, …)
- Additional material and information
- Videos, tutorials, animations
- Current trends and news about the topic
3. Twitter Account
Twitter is another important Social Media tool for your content. Twitter is an information network that allows you to post messages, which are called “tweets”. Twitter offers its users the possibility to quickly provide topic-related news and information by using tweets. Tweets are useful to refer to news about the topic and personal blog content.
Similar to blogging or maintaining a Facebook page, effective Twittering demands a certain consistency and some time-effort. Moreover there are also some rules on Twitter, that you need to respect, before you get started with short messages. The registration of an account takes only a few seconds.
- A tweet’s maximum length is 280 characters – keep it short! Links get shortened automatically to gain more space for text.
- A tweet with “@” is an answer. By using “@” and the Twitter name the user gets an instant notification.
- Hashtags (#) summarize discussions and events.
- Twitter is an open platform; that is why its content is also captured by search engines. Everyone is able to read the tweets.
- At the beginning it makes sense to read, subscribe, and react to other relevant people’s tweets. You can learn a lot from others.
- You can find a summary of Twitter’s special symbols on “Mashable”: https://mashable.com/2013/07/19/twitter-lingo-guide/?europe=true
4. Facebook page
If a personal blog is too elaborate for you, you can also build a book or author’s page on the social network Facebook. Our recommendation:
If you are running a blog, an additional Facebook page is a good tool to disseminate your content.
Furthermore you can make important contacts on Facebook and build your own network. Everyone that “likes” your Facebook page is willing to receive news from you.
You can build a Facebook page within a few minutes. For this purpose, Facebook has compiled an information page Facebook Basics. After clicking the button “create a page” Facebook guides you through to the completion of your page. At the beginning of the creation process you should be aware if you want to generate a page for your book (under “product”) or for yourself as an author (under “artist or public person”).
Tips for Using Facebook:
- Post relevant content on a regular basis
- Create exclusive posts (top-lists, insider news, extra information, free downloads,…)
- If you share somebody else’s content, always mark why you are sharing this link/photo/news.
- Use adverts for your book carefully.
- Different post-formats are important (videos, tutorials, texts, photos, links,…)
- Search for interesting groups, that suit your book.
5. LinkedIn Account
We also recommend registering on LinkedIn for your professional contacts.
You can register here:
You can also find useful tips for creating and maintaining your account here: https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin?lang=en
Hanser Publishers respects the guidelines of Wikipedia and desists from misusing this forum of knowledge for promotional purposes. As an author a technical book you are also highly relevant as author for Wikipedia article pages. You can compose articles on specific topics or edit the content, with suitable placement of your literature citation.
- Go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
- Go to “Create account” or “Log in”.
> If you already have an account, log in with your username and password.
> If you have no account yet, choose “create account”. Then enter your desired username, your password and your e-mail address. In the following you can enlarge your user profile with more information.
- If you want to create a new article, we recommend reading this guide: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Your_first_article
If you want to edit an article, click “edit” on upper right area of the article page.
- If you want to place a literature reference under your article, or the one you edited follow these instructions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Further_reading
We wish you every success!
Thanks for participating!
Your Hanser-Fachbuch team